For the cake:
- 125g Butter
- 225g Caster sugar
- 225g Self-raising flour
- 2 level teaspoon baking powder
- 3 large eggs beaten
- 5 tbsp of milk
- Finely grated rind of two lemons
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 heaped tbsp of poppy seeds
- 100g of freeze dried raspberries
- 1tbsp lemon curd
For the topping:
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 150g of caster sugar
Mixed Berry Compote:
- 250g of mixed frozen berries
- 2 tbsp of lemon curd
- A splash of water
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees fan. Line a baking tray.
- Add all the ingredients into a large bowl and beat until they are well mixed. Pour the mixture into the lined tin. You can buy these FAB cake liners from Lakeland (rectangle/ oval) and it means you don’t have the palava of getting the cake out.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for 45 minutes or until a skewer comes out pretty much clean. If the skewer is coming out with a lot excess mixture and the cake looks burnt on top, cover the top with some baking paper and replace.
- While the cake is in the oven, you can crack on with the mixed berry compote and crunchy topping
- For the compote, put all the ingredients into a non stick pan over a low heat. Cook for 15 minutes until the berries start to caramelise and turn into a sauce. If it looks a little thick, add a dash of water and potentially a little more lemon curd/ sugar to taste (I like things with a good old zing).
- For the topping, mix the caster sugar and lemon juice thoroughly in a bowl. When the cake is ready, spread the paste across the top of the cake (whilst it is still warm) and leave it to set.
- Leave the car standing in the tin until completely cool, then remove and peel off the parchment.
- Serve warm/ cold with a generous dollop of compote and some single cream.