Jersey Royals, asparagus, green bean and charred baby gem lettuce
- 350g Jersey Royals, washed and cut in half
- 4 gem lettuce hearts (peel off the outer leaves and keep in an airtight container in your vegetable drawer)
- Olive oil
- About 20 asparagus spears, bottoms cut off
- 200g french beans, top and tailed
- 1tbsp harissa paste
- 1tsp sriracha
- 2tbsp mayonnaise (homemade or Hellmans)
- Sea salt
- Put the potatoes in a very large pan and fill with cold, salted water. Place on a high heat. Meanwhile, take a fine slice from the very bottom of the gem lettuce to remove any browning. Then slice lengthways into the lettuce so you have four long quarters. Place in a bowl and cover with olive oil.
- Bring another large pan of salted water to the boil. Then, when the potatoes are nearly cooked (use a knife to give one of them a prod), heat a griddle pan until it is searing hot which will be used to charred the gem lettuces. When the griddle is hot, now is the time to add your green beans and your asparagus to the other pan of boiling, salted water. When the greens are in the water, sear your lettuces on the flat sides until they have blackened beautifully.
- Meanwhile, mix the harissa, sriracha and the mayonnaise. Remove the griddle pan from the heat and chuck your baby gems into a salad bowl. Then drain your greens and your potatoes and throw into the same salad bowl. Toss the vegetables together and then douse liberally with harissa mayo. Season to taste and toss.
Similar recipes you might like